Saturday, July 07, 2007


















We have had a busy couple of days. On the 4th we started with a breakfast at the church. There was a contest for the most Patriotic Dress. Michaela won in the childs category (she made her own costume) and April and Spence for the older kids. I went as Betsy Floss (Michaela's brainchild--you dress as Betsy Ross and hang dental floss around your neck). Doug tied a piece of patriotic fabric around his head and let people guess who he was. Easyrider was mentioned numerous times.



Michaela has been a "fairness fairy" most of her life. I know her first words were Mama and Dada but her first sentence was "that's not fair."


Last night she sat on Spencer's head. Needless to say, he was hurt and I sent her to her room. She began her constant whine that begins...you never see what he does...you always blame me...etc.



I went up to talk to her later and she confessed that she has a problem with "anger management" (her words not mine). She expressed a desire to find a more appropriate way to negotiate with Spence. She then went down to the computer and drafted this document. While it is charming as can be, I truly appreciate the intent of this young girl. She understands that she has a choice how she will react and is taking responsibility to change the home she lives in for the better. Formidable.


Michaela's manifesto:

House rules for safety and fairness
These rules are to represent having fights turned around to result in better daily schedules that can help our daily lives in this very busy house with 5 people living in fury and fun (there are fights and fun). This house document is being typed by one of the former livers of this crazy life style and I say that this document will help everyone in this house become more peaceful and understanding. Most people in this house don’t want to deal with fights, get hurt, or have their stuff or power disrespected in this house, which happens daily causing many fights and lots of anger which slows us down every day resulting in bad conflict and much crankiness which makes the house very busy and tiring to live at and deal with everyday. So as a resident you would wonder what it would be like without the fighting and disrespect, let me give you examples. Less fighting in the house, more pride in what belongs to you, less tiredness in daily schedules, and more peace and happiness around the house which will make much more time to relax. Now this is what possibly could happen if these rules were followed.

1. No joking around on things that could make other people angry.

2. Try to respect others special items that they wouldn’t want taken.

3. Always ask before you take something that doesn’t belong to you.

4. Be polite by answering yes 5 out of 10 times after someone asks.

5. Do not ask the same question one after another.


6. Make out a plan before playing a game that may turn out unfair.

7. If someone asks but you’re playing on the item simply work out turns.

8. “No” can be said more than once for safety or emergency.

These are the rules that I believe will make the house a much better place to live.

________________________ ________________________
Child signature Parent signature
________________________ ________________________
Child signature Parent signature

___________________________
Guardian signature (this is April)

I Michaela Tate believe in a more peaceful house, if you do sign here.

That is all thanks for listening.


Enough for now...love to all.

5 comments:

Sheila said...

What a character! I heard about her "document" in primary today- it was her example of how to be a peacemaker. She said it was already working! I am so impressed with her vocabulary and writing ability too! Life at the Tate house sounds like a blast!

carrie pearson said...

Way to go Michaela!

Boyd Smith said...

Stacey;
You lucked out with two great kids. And I know that it is hard to but up with kids that are full of energy, it is worth it when you have one of them write what has got to be, the most important document, since the decoration of independence {(pun intended)yah right}.

Love ya lots - Boyd

Reva Petersen said...

Hi sweet sweet Michaela,

This is your Aunt Reva! Remember me?

I know you’re coming to Utah soon, and if I am feeling good I am coming to visit you at the park.

So, I have a question: If I promise not to ask you the same question one after another, will you promise to say yes to 5 out of my 10 questions? hehehe

I loved your list. I think you should send it to President Bush. :-)

I miss you and I love you and I think of you often. And you can tell Spencer the same goes for him. Would you do that please?

Love,
Aunt Reva

Reva Petersen said...

Hi Stacey,

Your costumes looked great. The "Betsy Floss" part made me tinkle a little because I was laughing so hard.

And Doug, forget Easyrider. Start thinking Rosie O'Donnell! :-)

She wears those bandanas all the time exactly the way you did. Don't worry, I doubt many of the people you were with have time for Rosie, so your secret is safe with me.

However, I think I will be calling you Rosie the next time I see you....sounds like fun, yes?

Love,
Reva