Monday, September 10, 2007


AN UGLY HANDMADE PRESENT IS NOT A GIFT
Since I have to spend time resting, I decided to start crocheting again. I got this idea to make scarfs for the girls in my family. I love to give and receive handmade items. I have often stated that "the love is in the stitches." However, while I was crocheting, I had a strange memory hit me like a brick wall. My Grandmother was very talented in all the..let's just call them "vintage arts." She could quilt, crochet, knit and can with the best of her generation. When I was ten, crocheted ponchos were totally cool and I asked her to make one for me. In the seventies, the color palette was mostly comprised of neon bright colors. Well, she finished the poncho and put it in the mail. It was beautifully made but the yarn she used was a varigated autumn mix. Beautiful for my then 70 year old Grandma, not so hip for a ten year old. I wore the poncho often but never felt quite right. This might have something to do with the only dress I had to wear it with, an olive green Deseret Industries dress that was missing the first button. In my fourth grade school pictures, you see a big ole safety pin in place of a button. The poncho veed perfectly to highlight my second hand dress. Over the years, I have always had a strange sensation when looking at amazing items with questionable color palettes. I feel a stitch in my heart because at this point in my life I am fully aware and awed at the time and skill these pieces take. And also I connect with the desire to see the receiver of homemade gifts really love the item and not have to fake it. After all, you really can't exchange or re-gift these personalized items. You are kind of under some type of obligation to wear or use the item especially in front of the creator. My dear friend Barbara marshalled members of my book club to contribute quilt blocks to this beautiful lap quilt. I sat down and cried when I opened this 'perfect' gift. The colors are amazing, the sentiments as touching. I know the work that went into this gift and was such a perfectly timed and wholly appreciated gift. I am touched to tears everytime I think about it.
So now to the heart of this post--is this yarn ugly? If I made you this scarf would you wear it out of obligation or choice? I chose the red because Amanda is a UTES fan and could use a scarf for the games. All of a sudden I have turned into my grandmother. Full of self-doubt as I no longer know what colors are cool. One step away from making crocheted toilet paper covers, I need your help. You know I don't often stoop to begging for comments but if you read this post and don't normally leave comments--today is the day. Sign up for a Google account and leave me your opinion. The Tate Family Christmas is hanging in the balance.
Enough for now...love to all.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Erm, I'm not the most fashionable of people and I don't know what a UTEs fan is or the age of the intended gift-recipient but the red and black (and pink?) combo does nothing for me.

The lap quilt is gorgeous. What a great gift to have received!

carrie pearson said...

You can't go wrong with Red White and Blue. Not sure about the pink. Why would you want to support a UTE anyway - your blood is cougar blue (at least one semester!)

Love the quilt!!!!! You are better than your grandmother, you care about the color - not just what you might have laying around that needs to be used (that is what some members of my family who will remain nameless do)

Hang in there

Boyd Smith said...

I'm so glad to see your back.

As we get older, we always think about how we would have done things different, as parents. One thing that keeps popping into my head, is how I wished I had taught my children the classics, in there dress, in the style and some how, avoid the fashion that was/is "today".

This truly is an example of tilting at windmills.

My kids had plenty of ammo to fire back with. There are to many pictures of me with long hair and polyester shirts.

Nothing wrong with long hair, if it fit's your face. The point maybe that we spend more time trying to state who we are by fitting in, than we do, by taking a good look at who we are, and what works for the "me" in all of us.

Maybe if I had it all to do again, I would fight the good fight. And then maybe, not. How else would I have pictures of Amy with the West Valley wave.

Not all home made gifts are used, but all that I have gotten from you, have been.

Go Ute's ( unless there playing the Cougars).

Love Boyd