Tuesday, September 11, 2007


As CP wrote, we will all remember where we were on that beautiful, crisp morning in September 6 years ago. I had just quit my job to be a SAHM and we were in process of revising our lives to live "providently" on one income. It was the first morning in our newly downsized home and I was waking to a day of unpacking. It addition to the shock and horror of watching the planes shatter buildings, I felt the intense urge to drive to my children's school and bring them home for protection. There was such an eerie feeling that there was more coming.

So where did the Tates spend this 9/11? At Disneyland. Okay, I know this would seem to trivialize the day, potentially to be renamed "Patriots Day." However, while chatting with a couple while waiting for a show to begin, I got a new perspective.
This couple told me that they wanted to celebrate our uniquely American way of life and freedom enjoying themselves pumping money into the American economy. Those who perpetrated the horrific event would much prefer us to spend our day remembering the vulnerability we all felt when we saw this tragedy playing out in major cities at the same time. I like the idea of celebrating our freedom in a truly magical place where I can do and wear and buy and say almost anything I want (The recent Southwest incident reminds me that freedom has some boundaries). So today I will spend a few minutes thinking of some incredible sacrifices and be ever grateful for my blessed life.
Besides the lines were incredibly short.
Enough for now...love to all.

1 comment:

carrie pearson said...

I was going to add something to my post about spending money, living the american dream and showing the terrorists - but you beat me to it. I LOVE Disney. I am jealous.