Friday, June 15, 2007






Inspired by my friend Carrie's homage to Duct Tape (which by the way is a common nickname for my husband, Doug Tate) I want to expound of the glories of the Clorox Bleach pen. I have never been a gifted laundress and for many years I have struggled to keep my whites white. Then along comes the bleach pen. Ah the joys of spot bleaching. I gloried in my ability to retain items before considered disposable. However, my elation was starting to become comprised by a price/volume consideration. I was going through a bleach pen with each white load. Clorox had me in its grips. Until one day I began pondering what others products there might be in a bleach format that could satisfy my need for volume bleaching. I thought about the creme bleach I use to color my hair...then it dawned on me the number of times I have been vigorously cleaning with Softscrub (not often enough) and the spray had ruined some very attractive black sweats (oxymoron).

Could it be that I could use Softscrub to bleach my whites, thwarting the Clorox product manager who believe 2 oz of bleach in that little tube is worth $4.39? I tried it, it works. Now I no longer have to judiciously spot my whites. I can indulge socks and underwear freely with the white magic. After all I know get 20 oz for a mere $1.89. The math is so exciting $1.89 vs. $43.99. Okay, in life we all have to give up something to get something. The little scrubbing grains may stress the fabrics slightly, so I don't suggest using it on the wedding dress. But for my needs, a definite win.
Okay, this long post about the joy of finding a more economical way to bleach my whites may seem a little sad but truly there was a feeling of accomplishment which is more than I can say many of my days.
Enough for now...love to all.

1 comment:

carrie pearson said...

I am with you baby. I used a bleach product that was pulled from the market. When I found it online, I bought two cases. Yes, two cases. No food storage, but we can bleach our stuff clean!