Wednesday, January 03, 2007




Just an ordinary day today. Talked to some kids, some clients, some friends and a spouse. Here in CA where there is a very slight change of season, it is strange to mark time. Sweaters which weren't really needed are now on sale and swimsuits are showing up in the stores. The days are still very short. Dark by 5:30 so that's how we know it is winter. This is not a complaint--anyone who knows me knows I dislike cold weather--just a strange, floating observation.


A couple of days ago I sent my children to the neighborhood park with my camera. Had to do something to pry them away from the electronics. They need to be in school. Most schools go back just after New Year's Eve. Our school doesn't start until the 8th this year. They were supposed to take shots of each other. Spence took 10 or so shots of her but she wouldn't return the favor. She is my daughter--a little self-absorbed. They took some interesting shots.


I really want to improve the quality and artistry of my photos. I was reading about the magic rule of thirds. Here a a link that explains: http://macteens.com/features/fullstory/the_rules_of_photography/

This morning Layla showered and then got back in bed saying it was cold. Her hair looked stringy and kinda cool on the pillow so I got out the camera prepared to try the magic thirds approach. The pictures still came out looking fairly ordinary but I will try to different techniques to increase the visual interest.
I did finally open the iPod I received for Christmas. It feels a little like work to set the thing up and organize my music but once done I'm sure I will enjoy it. I am sometimes stunned at the goodness of my life. Doug and I saw "Pursuit of Happyness" on Monday. The spark that tells us we are as capable as we are is powerful. This made me think of the Marianne Williamson quote:
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
Enough for now...love to all.

1 comment:

carrie pearson said...

I have heard happyness is good - we will have to go and see it.