Monday, June 25, 2007

We are so lucky to have April Brunsvik staying with us. I took some pictures of her and the kids at a nature trail. I will post soon.

A couple of weeks ago I decided that we need to see more of CA while we live here. So a week or so ago, Doug and I loaded up the kids and went to check out Chinatown.



Chinatown consists mostly of small shops with cheap stuff and a couple of arches and monuments thrown in for flavor.



This gentleman snoozing at the Bra stand could easily have been Doug.



I bought two Sunday smocks for $12.

Michaela purchased this entire Kabuki ensemble for under $10. She had of course, been more interested in the swords available.


We then walk to a local Buddhist temple. It was on our tourist map. Upon entering we looking for the equivalent of the Mormon missionaries to share with us why there were large piles of fruit everywhere and how the incense and candles play into Buddhism. No one spoke English and we ended up feeling a little intrusive. Finally, a very nice man from Laos walked us around and explained a few things. We always think we have the market cornered on Temple ritual.
So interesting the process of getting an answer to prayer.
You bring an offering, ask your question and get an answer from a number carved into wooden sticks in a shaker. You then go to the wall and find the appropriate corresponding numbered message that contains your answer.
Call me lazy but I will take the still, small voice any day.
Overall, an interesting day.
Enough for now...love to all.

2 comments:

Sheila said...

Very iteresting! I've never been there and I've lived here my whole life! I'm totally with you on the still small voice thing!

on a side note, while I'm thinking about it- I hope to see you on Thursday night (I'm assuming you got the invite to my Arbonne party?). If anything, it should be a nice chance for some adult conversation!

Reva Petersen said...

Hi Stacey,

When I looked at the first picture with the man asleep I thought it was Doug!

Debbie and I used to go to Chinatown often. We especially used to love the restaurants because you got "real" Chinese food instead of the Americanized version.

One time we were there when the dragons were out in the street, I assume it was Chinese New Year, and cutie that I was, one of them started chasing me!

Reva